If you're single these days, you're in luck. Since the advent of online personals, the playing field has been wide open-- Now it's even easier to meet people outside
of your usual circle and the odds of finding someone you can fall in love with are through the roof.
Although some people still worry about safety issues, experienced cyber-daters have found that, safety-wise, hooking up on the Net is inherently similar to meeting through offline
circles and as long as the same standard dating precautions are followed, they feel truly at ease while getting to know each other in this new social scene. Cyber-singles
say that their best bet for a comfortable experience is to follow the golden rule of dating: trust your instincts and use common sense.
So, if you're looking for love, don't hesitate to logon. Just take some common sense tips from the cyber-wise, and you're sure to keep your dating experience friendly.
- Don't give out any personal contact information until your instincts tell you that this is someone you can trust. Take your time! It's difficult to get a sense from just a few emails.
- Go at your own pace. If someone pressures you otherwise, they're not for you.
- Ask a lot of questions and watch for inconsistencies. Now's the time to be a skeptic.
- Avoid the Cyrano-syndrome. Emails can be deceiving so don't get carried away in email fantasy - wait until you meet before you fall head-over-heels.
- Learn from the experience of other cyber-daters. At JDate.com, you can pop into a chat room at any time to talk to other singles.
- Be sure to see a photo and talk on the phone before you meet.
- Always meet during the day in an open, public place and provide your own transportation to and fro. Tell a friend where you're going and check in when you return.
- Plan for a short first date so that if you feel uncomfortable, you have an easy way out. Always be polite and say thank-you when you leave.