I have gotten several letters from JDaters inquiring about dating people who are divorced. What about the divorced daters out there? What are the guidelines, rules, and tips?
• Make sure you are over your ex before committing to a new relationship. If you think about your ex and still feel emotion, whether it is anger or sadness, chances are you haven’t moved on completely.
• Remember, the person/people you are dating might have questions/concerns about the divorce. Be honest, but only share when you feel ready.
• The person/people you are dating are not your ex. Comparisons are unfair.
• If you have children, only introduce them to the new person when the two of you have entered into a committed relationship. Anything else can cause your children confusion, anger and hurt. Remember, you are entitled to have a life, but children should come first.
• Lastly, enjoy yourself. Divorce is serious business and can be very draining. Give yourself permission to live life again. Staring over can be an exciting journey. Time does heal the wounds and second chances in love are more common than most people really think!