Have you ever JDated while visiting another city? In the spirit of spring break travels, I thought I’d write about expanding your dating horizons beyond your area code. Oh, and I’m not talking about traveling specifically to meet someone you met online – that’s a post for another day. And I don’t mean finding an overnight companion while on an 18-hour business trip – I can’t endorse that! I’m talking about looking online for people to meet while you happen to be in another city.
I’ve tried it, and you should, too! A couple of years ago, I went to Washington, D.C. for a few days to visit a friend. I flew in on a Thursday night and had the next day to myself while my friend was at work. Because I knew I would have a little time to explore the city, I chatted with some guys on JDate, and one took my bait. After a morning of playing tourist on the National Mall, I arranged to meet him for lunch at a place he recommended. As it turned out, he was a great guy and a total gentleman, and I had a nice time! Although it didn’t really progress, we had a lovely afternoon, he and I kept in touch for a bit, and I got more dating experience in a low-pressure environment, which never hurts.
I don’t live in D.C. and don’t plan to move there in the foreseeable future, so what’s the point of JDating out of town? Well, you never know what might happen. People are pretty mobile nowadays, and if you’re serious about meeting someone, why not? Maybe he has family in your city and visits often. Or maybe she is considering a new job in your city. Or he regularly travels to your state for work. You never know what might result.
Contacting and meeting someone in another city might seem weird or uncomfortable, so here are some tips for success:
- DO be open! Whether you alter your profile location to match your destination city for a little while, or you receive a message from a traveler suggesting you give him a tour around town, consider all possibilities.
- But DON’T have expectations. Just like any date, it could be disappointing. Oh well – move on and explore a new place!
- DO be safe and smart. Avoid meeting anyone who seems suspicious or sketchy, as always.
- DON’T seek out a date if you have a layover someplace overnight between 10pm and 6am. Unless you want to – whatever, I’m a blogger, not your mother. But still, I don’t recommend it!
- DO meet in a public place. General safety rules, duh. But this is especially relevant if you are in an unfamiliar place.
- DON’T bring an assortment of friends and relatives unless you have already discussed and agreed to it. Or, unless you’re famous and need a bodyguard or entourage.
- DO be positive and pleasant. Meeting new people is fun – enjoy!
So go book your tickets to visit family, or volunteer to meet a business client in a new city. A JDate Success Story could be awaiting you! Bon voyage.