The popular meme above that’s been making the rounds online is meant in jest, but for singles it’s like salt in the wound!
Singles know they are going to have to face the “Why are you still single?” and “Are you dating anyone?” questions more than once during the holidays. And it sucks. So here’s a handy guide for quick, positive responses that will shut up even the nosiest family member.
- Yes, I’m single right now, but I’m also thankful I received a __________ promotion at work.
- No, I’m not dating anyone special right now, but I have been very fulfilled by my volunteer work at ____________ to help ___________.
- Yes, I’m “still” single and used ALL my free time to train for a marathon/compete in a crossfit tournament/__________.
- No, I’m not married yet. I’m not willing to settle, I have too much to offer!
- It’s been difficult to meet someone because I’ve been busy exploring the world!
Keep it upbeat and happy by saying these responses with a smile. And when you go around the table saying what you’re thankful for, make sure to lay it on really thick by mentioning all the great family, friends, work stuff, hobbies, traveling, pets, and anything else positive that you can think of. Because it’s true — you are fortunate to have a full life filled with love even if it’s not necessarily coming from a significant other right now.