As the holiday winds down, think you can eat one more fried delectable? I offer you these tasty and simple homemade doughnuts. They puff up light and airy making it all the easier to scarf down more! Don’t worry, there is always next week to get back on the diet!
3/4 cup apple cider, at room temperature
1 tablespoon (1 package) dry yeast
4 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons canola oil
For the filling
1 cup of your favorite seedless jelly
sugar for dusting
- Place the apple juice into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast over the apple juice. Add all of the ingredients in order with the machine running at a low speed. Increase the speed to medium and knead the dough for 3 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic in texture.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and allow the dough to rise for one hour.
- Punch the dough down, pull pieces of dough, about the size of walnuts and roll them gently into balls. Place the dough balls onto a sheet pan. Continue until all the dough is rolled.
- Heat a saucepan with oil to a depth of 3 inches to 350°F. Fry the doughnuts in batches in the hot oil. When the doughnuts are completely browned and float to the top, the doughnuts are done.
- Remove the doughnuts with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a small tip, with your favorite jelly. Push the pastry tip into the side of a doughnut and fill with jelly.
- Roll in sugar and serve.
Makes about 36 small doughnuts