Celebrate Self with a Smile
This week is National Singles Week! Unbeknown to most, there is a specially designated week each year which celebrates singles as they embrace their independence and are recognized for their achievements and contributions to society.
So before you start laughing it off, take a second to remember all the complaining you’ve done about the fact that singles are left out. And be glad that we get a week, not a day, but an entire week to celebrate single life.
Now we know that news of the special week may be coming to you on short notice, so we took the time to prepare a list of activities and events you can do to celebrate you.
1. Take a Wellness Day: You don’t have to be sick to take a day just for yourself. Why not start the week right by taking a special day off from work for wellness? The objective is to unplug, so remember to “step away from the computer and cell phone.” Sleep in late, eat your favorite morning cereal and follow the day wherever it takes you.
2. Pick a Project and Do-it-Yourself: It can be as simple as compiling a new CD. Just make something that is entirely for you. You will find that the act of creating, in and of itself, may just put a smile on your face.
3. Reach out and Forgive Someone: Make amends with someone, anyone, even if it is an ex (just be sure to keep it at that). Or simply take some time to be sorry for all the times you were too demanding or hard on yourself. Forgiving yourself, another person or group of people can promote good heart health and lowers stress.
4. Treat Yourself to a Glass of Bubbly: The incredible Madame Clicquot is often considered the first businesswoman of the modern era. After she was widowed in 1805 at the age of 27, Veuve Clicquot (Veuve means widow in French) defied every convention and took the helm of her late husband’s small Champagne house. So treat yourself to some bubbly and raise a glass to a legendary lady!
5. Try Something a Little Alternative: By alternative, we’re not talking music! Rather, instead of pampering yourself with a spa massage try acupuncture, hypnosis or Reiki. If all that new age-y stuff freaks you out, the least you can do is pick up some vitamins or try a yoga class to celebrate you.
6. Test-drive a New Product: We don’t care if it’s a Vespa or a vibrator, as long as it turns you on!
7. Take a Spur-of-the Moment Road Trip: It’s perfectly okay to get lost once in a while. In fact, you’ll be surprised at just how exhilarating it can feel to give up your power for a few hours. So hop in your car or get on a bus and enjoy the adventure.
8. Tantalize Your Taste Buds: Don’t listen to the buzz about juice diets. Try this instead: Savor one piece of exotic fruit every morning – think fresh watermelon, luscious cherries and juicy plums. Then pick a night(s) to have raw salmon sashimi for supper and feed yourself as if someone else was doing it for you. It’s more than just cleansing; it a sensual trip.
9. Express Yourself In Writing: Forgot the last time you wrote a letter, let alone received one? While it may be easy to dial out to distant friends, letter writing is an art that will keep your spirit alive.
10. Set Sail with other Singles: In many parts of the country, this may be your last chance to be out on the water. Don’t worry if you don’t have a board and crew, there are plenty of clubs for happily unmarried singles like the Sailing Singles of Southeastern Michigan. Just find one in your area and you’ll be set to go!
11. To All the Ladies Out There: If you’re tired of storing all those tacky bridesmaid’s dresses or are still holding on to the pre-divorce wedding gown, then get rid of them once and for all! Rather than burn them, donate them to a charity like Brides against Breast Cancer where they will be put in the hands of someone in need.
12. Find a Cloud to Escape: From starring in your own feature film to becoming a fighter pilot for a day, companies like Cloud9 Living and Xperience Days will make just about any dream come true. While some packages are way too extravagant, there are plenty of unforgettable experiences to choose from to celebrate your life!
13. Plan to Wine Down on Wednesday: If you are looking for something a little more relaxing than the post-work happy hours and or two-for-one Tuesdays, consider Wine Down Wednesdays. Plenty of restaurants offer half price on wines during mid-week when traffic is low. So grab a friend and take advantage of it!
SingleEdition.com is a lifestyle destination where singles get advice, discounts and connect with other singles, and share their inspiring personal success stories. To read more articles about the single lifestyle, click here! Or follow us on Facebook.com and Twitter.com for updates, advice and information!Email this post