Italian Budino: Perfect for Break Fast
Light as a feather and complexly flavored, Budino is a comforting and luscious Italian pudding. Perfect for Break fast, Budino can be made ahead of time and garnished with shaved chocolate, cocoa nibs, sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of sea salt for crunch and palate opening pleasure.
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Whisk 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside. Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a small saucepan just to a simmer; set aside. To make caramel, stir sugar and 3/4 cup water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; cook without stirring until an instant-read thermometer registers 98-104 C.
2. Line a sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth and set over a large pitcher. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk, then cornstarch mixture. Slowly whisk in caramel. Return mixture to saucepan. Whisk constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens and a thermometer registers 79 C, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter, rum, vanilla and salt. Pour through prepared sieve.
3. Pour 1/2 cup budino in each dessert glass, jar or ramekin. Cover; chill until set, 4–5 hours. Keep in mind, this dish can be made one day ahead of time. Just keep it chilled.Email this post