After being a bachelor for many years and counseling my friends about dating, I decided to write a book to help other men navigate the dating scene. In my book, The 21st Century Guide to Bachelorhood: Lessons Learned Over 20 Years, I devote a section to internet dating where I explain why JDate is a great place to meet your future spouse.
I always had an active social life. I was meeting new women all the time, however, I just wasn’t meeting the right women. After dozens of fruitless dates and several blind dates, I decided to join a couple of Internet dating sites. It was through JDate that I finally met my fiancée and we are planning a January wedding in Boca Raton, Florida.
In my light-hearted handbook, I give guys practical advice on how to be a successful JDater®. Here I offer some advice to people using internet dating sites:
- Make sure you download current photos of yourself when you put your profile together. It is also a good idea to have at least two photos; one photo showing a close-up of your face (without sunglasses) and one that shows your full body (and not from a distance). People don’t want to see your high school graduation photo.
- Make sure you fully complete all of your essays and be thorough. Members want to know a lot about you before they contact you or respond to your introductory emails.
- Check your essays several times to make sure there are no typos and that your sentences are grammatically correct. Nobody wants to read through incoherent essays. It makes you look as if you haven’t finished sixth grade.
- When you are reading through profiles, make sure you don’t contact somebody solely because you like their photos. Read their essays entirely. Make sure the two of you are looking for similar things and are appropriate matches for each other.
- Be original when you contact somebody. Don’t ever write “I liked your photos, you are so hot!” That is a very bad introduction and a girl will be offended. Think before you write and always write something in your introductory email that shows the other person that you read their profile.
- You should always respect people’s preferences. When somebody says they want to date somebody between the ages of 25-35, they don’t want emails from 50 year-old men with combovers!
- Don’t ever lie. You will be caught every time.
- Finally, don’t ever harass somebody if they don’t respond to you or even reject you. Not everybody will want to meet you. Get over it!
If you follow the above advice you will have a very enjoyable JDating experience and you may just meet your soul mate like I did!