Everyone knows about Yom Kippur. There are, however, several other fast days in the Jewish calendar that are not nearly as well known. On Tuesday (July 19), the Fast of the 17th of Tammuz will be observed.
As mentioned in the Talmud, five events are commemorated on this solemn day:
1. Moses smashed the Ten Commandments when he found the Jews worshiping the Golden Calf.
2. The daily sacrifices ceased during the first Temple due to a shortage of sacrificial animals.
3. The walls of Jerusalem were breached leading to the destruction of the first and second Temples.
4. An idol was placed in the Temple during the first Temple era.
5. Apustamos (a Roman general) publicly burned a Torah scroll.
Based on the biblical verses found in Zachariah Chapters 7 and 8, it is our practice to fast on the 17th of Tammuz from dawn to nightfall.
This Treat was originally posted on July 18, 2008.
Copyright © 2011 National Jewish Outreach Program. All rights reserved.