I think I may be a little late jumping on the chia seed health train. I have an expensive bag of the flavorless gelatin-y seeds in my cupboard. And I have, reluctantly, gulped down a third of the bag, each time convincing myself how great I would feel and how my heart would thank me for all the Omega-3’s. Then I conveniently stuffed the bag behind a very decorative bag of some holiday festooned white chocolate and peppermint coated pretzels. Yum! Well, after polishing off the pretzels, the chia bag is again visible and mocking me. It is time to work on the recent resolution, already several days old, of trying to eat healthfully. Not so easy for a chef.
I really cannot see myself knocking back a glassful of water soaked gooey seeds, so I came up with a tasty and crunchy chicken breast coating. The crunchy Chia chicken is tasty, complies with the New Year’s resolution and is easy. Pair the chicken with a roasted beet and citrus salad, and you can entertain in style.
Chia seeds are a member of the mint family and a super food. They are a great source of Omega-3, fiber and protein. Chia is easily found in many grocery stores and online.
Chia Crusted Chicken
For the marinade:
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 glove of garlic, grated on a microplane
1 medium shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Whisk all of the ingredients for the marinade together.
For the Chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼ inch thickness
½ cup chia seeds
Place the chicken in a medium container and pour the marinade over the pounded breasts. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours but no more than 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the chia seeds.
- Heat a large sauté pan or griddle to medium high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.
- Place the chicken breasts in the hot pan, be sure not to over crowd the pan or the chicken will not get crispy and brown. Cook the breasts on the first side for 3-5 minutes until they are browned and slightly crispy. Turn the breasts to the other side and cook an additional 3 minutes until the breast is lightly browned and cooked through(you can test this by gently pushing on the breast and checking for firmness). If it is firm-it is done.
Serve the chicken with a salad or favorite side.